Why Japan?


Many of you reading this blog now may be very familiar with my 2012 blog or me as a person. But if you aren’t or you’re still wondering, why did Theresa pick Japan as her new home, well the answer is pretty easy. Simply for the sake of adventure and travel. In 2012, I was fortunate enough to have a host family that took me in and housed me and fed me free of charge. My life in Bali was one of leisure. The months there were exciting and new but also unchallenging and my mind was becoming bored or too comfortable. Upon returning back home for 2013, I had an itch to get back out here. Pondering on what to do or where to go, I started communicating with an old high school friend who was, at the time, teaching English in Hiroshima, Japan. He had only great things to say about the whole experience and really recommended it to me, especially with where I was at in my life. Where would that be exactly? Well sort of in between my young twenties and older twenties. In a place that wasn’t really ready to settle down but also need stimulation and challenge. So after writing back and forth with him, I did my own research into different companies that hired foreign teachers without teaching experience or certificate. I came across such companies such as AEON, JET Program, Interac, ECC, and Amity. All of them I intensely searched the websites looking for application dates and requirements. All the companies suggested that you don’t apply until at least 4-6 months of wanting to depart. At the time it was still a bit early in the year and so I decided by August-September I would put my applications in. 

Part of the application process was to write an essay on “Why Teach in Japan.” After formulating my thoughts, it was pretty easy to see why someone would pick Japan as the country they would move to completely solo. For me, I’ve always traveled with a friend or went to a country to see a friend. Only once have I went to a city and not known any one. Now I would be moving to a country without being there prior or knowing anyone at my destination. At the time of my move, my friend would of finished his contract year already and would be moving back to the States so I wouldn’t know one soul in this place. But with Japan’s safe reputation and navigable country size, I felt like this was something I could do. I have never been to Japan before nor did I know the language at all, but was excited to think I could possibly be living there. Thoughts of Harujuku Street, fast cars, busy sidewalks, sushi galore, cherry blossoms, and geishas started to fill my mind. 

Along with the beauty of Japan, what also intrigued me about the country is the status of teachers or senseis. Unlike in the States, Japanese teachers are seen very highly. They are practically up there with doctors and lawyers. So the treatment that teachers wold receive in Japan are much more respectful than that back home. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that teachers should have the high standings and get more benefits and respect but sadly in the States I don’t feel it is that way. Teaching has always been something I wanted to try and what better place than a country with the highest respect for teachers. 


So when August rolled around, I had my essays ready and resume revised. I applied to three companies, ECC, AEON and Interac.  I also signed up for updates from the JET Program but being a very competitive program, their application date was later and also had more requirements. I was anxious to see who I would hear back from first, or if I would hear back at all. So the waiting game began.

Comments

Popular Posts