AEON Interview: Austin, TX: November 2, 2013

After my interview went so good in Dallas, I was hesitant to even go to the AEON interview in Austin. But I didn’t want to miss the opportunity just incase what if Interac didn’t call me back. So I sucked it up, mother booked me a hotel room for the night and I made plans for Austin. 

The AEON interview was also at a hotel. Upon arriving I was naturally nervous seeing way more applicants in this interview than the last. With AEON’s interview process it was very similar. We first had a section of information on the company as well as met a couple people who had been working for them. After the informational process, we had a section where we got into groups and pretended to be students. We got to see how the AEON teachers teach, their materials and their delivery of it. After all of that, we also had a demo lesson to present but this time it was not recorded. We were split into interview times, two groups presenting at the same time on opposite sides of the room. My demo lesson for this company was honestly half-assed. My heart was so set on Interac that I didn’t put 110% into my demo lesson for AEON, but I still felt like what I had would work because it wasn’t really the material they were looking for but the delivery. So again, I was as energetic as possible, making sure to enunciate and project my words. I did a lesson over body parts that was geared toward elementary kids. My best girl friend, Phi is studying to be a teacher and gave me this simple lesson plan to alter and use. Perfect! I already had the body parts needed so I didn’t have to bring any props. 

One thing that was nice about this interview though was one familiar face. I had met a kid in my Interac interview that was also from Houston, Michael. When we first met, we talked about if we were going to interview at any other companies and sure enough Michael was going to interview for AEON as well. So in Austin we got to meet back up. That helped ease my nerves, just having someone familiar to talk with. 

When the whole interview was over for the day, the company representatives evaluated and presented each of us envelopes that told us if we would be coming back the following day for a personal interview or not. Thankfully my envelope had a big YES on it and a time for me to return the following morning. Whoo-hoo! Everyone wasn’t so lucky though. Some people in my demo group lesson walked away that afternoon with No’s...personally it was easy to tell who was going to get called back or not. The ones that didn’t had demo lessons that were incredibly boring and too intricate for a short lesson. Luckily mine was short and to the point and got me where I wanted to be. 

The following morning I went back to the hotel for my interview time. During this process it was just me and the female representative. She asked me a few questions and showed me a text book they use to teach with. She first taught me a simple lesson and then had me teach her a lesson that I had ten minutes to prepare. Again, being that my heart was really set on Interac, I didn’t put my all into the interview but still delivered what I needed. After the lessons, she told me more about the company. How they are very much a business as well and that if hired I would be required and expected to SELL books and keep kids coming back. As I sat there, I nodded and agreed excitedly with all she was saying, but truly, I didn’t like the idea of being a salesmen and kept hoping I would hear something from my company of choice, Interac.


The weekend was long but after it all, hand shakes were exchanged as well as smiles and I was told that I would hear something from them in a couple weeks. Again, I was in the waiting room just checking my emails over and over.

Comments

Popular Posts