Kashihara, Nara

Currently, I have a free week and a half before I officially start working. So being that it is Monday, I decided to get started on some technical things I need to do, like visit the City Hall and register my address. So being that I don't have a trusty I-Phone to rely on for directions, I had to do things the old fashion way. Yes, that means either memorizing the route or drawing out a map...I did both. The walk, luckily, was not difficult and I found city hall without an issue. The real problem was when I tried to do anything there! The language barrier is a HUGE one. Basically, not any one there spoke English so I had to make due with the little Japanese I know and more facial expressions of desperation. Luckily, one guy I spoke to had a translator on his phone and used that for a lot of the conversation. I am extremely grateful that everyone I talked to today there was really friendly and patient. They didn't just shoo me away, but tried their best to work with me until I got to where I needed to be. So, I THINK or hope that by the time I left there, I had registered my new address and signed up for the National Health Plan like I was suppose to...if not....I'm sure it will come at me later. Fingers crossed!

After the city hall, I decided to check out a shopping center I had seen before, Kintetsu. The mall turned out to be like a massive department store. I was starving by this point so followed the smell of food to the first floor where there was an array of different food vendors. Overwhelmed, I did one walk around and then decided to check out the rest of the building first. Also I found it odd there was a lot of food but no where to sit to enjoy it. I guess everyone just brings it home?





When walking through out the rest of the department store, I came across sections of clothes, house hold items, and kitchenware. I still needed utensils, plates, and bowls for myself so was pretty happy I found them here. Sure, I may of paid more than what I could of gotten these items for, but they are things I need and would be using through out the whole year...so I let this splurge slide. My real moment of weakness was when I saw a Totoro bathroom mat and had to have it. I tried walking away from it at first but my feet just led me back to it. So I bought it. Hah! Don't worry guys, I know it was on the expensive side (2500 yen) but I'll be sure to keep it forever! After leaving Kintetsu, I had gotten three bowls (all with pink decor...when in Japan, be cute as possible), utensils, two sets of chopsticks, a super cute hand towel (it was on sale...plus it has a cute apply princess on it), and my Totoro bath rug. Slowly but surely, this little apartment will feel like home!

I haven't yet cooked anything for myself but hoping to start that up perhaps tomorrow. If you guys don't know, I have no former cooking experience aside from the mac-n-cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches, so this should be interesting. I'll be sure to write about my successes...or disasters...in the kitchen!!





Also to give a little back story on the city in which I live, Kashihara...it is located in Nara Prefecture with a population of about 125,000 people. It is primarily on flat land but has the Asuka River running through the middle and the Soga River running on the western portion. Also, it is home to 2 famous mountains of the Manyo Period: Mt. Unebi, Mt. Miminashi, and Mt. Kaguyama. In the center of these lies the ruins of Fujiwara Palace, the first capital of Japan. In addition to these, there are numerous other historical artifacts scattered within the city limits. (http://www.city.kashihara.nara.jp/) Also I live right next to Mt. Miminashi! So it makes for scenic views when walking around. The city tree is an Oak Tree and the flower is a Gardenia. So awesome cause I love Gardenias!! Nara is one of the oldest parts of Japan and in Kashihara it seems like there are many ruins and ancient places to be discovered. So should make for an eventful year living here!!

xxx

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts