The Cool Kids.

First day of training and the more the seconds go by the more I fall in love with Japan.

Starting my dat at 6am, I wake up to messages from my sister in Florence telling me about her epic trip in Barcelona. It was kind of nice being up so early because I didn't want to miss my alarm the first day of training but also because it gave me some time to chat with family back home. After replying back to her message and catching the best friend on skype, I quickly put on my big girl clothes and headed out the door to meet up a couple other teachers in the hall way. I met back up with Daniel my neighbor and fellow interviewee from Dallas, and a new friend Loc from L.A. We all got together and figured we were all going to the same place so headed that way.




Training today was filled with information after information. It was a long day but luckily we had many breaks and a chance to walk around. While on breaks today I seemed to bond with Loc the most. Shortly after we found two other fellow like minds, Becka from the UK and Jocab from Canada. We chatted over vaping breaks and talked about familiarities with tattoos and Japanese culture. For lunch, Loc and I walked into a random hole in the wall noodle place that had a picture of udon for about 600 yen. We were sold. Lunch was awesome being that the shop was so small, the two people running the place so friendly and the fact that lunch was made right before our eyes.





The rest of training was me fighting jet lag but also writing down every little thing. On breaks though it was nice because the weather was amazing and our training spot was next to this peaceful shrine I plan to check out tomorrow. Another new discovery was the vending machines here! They dispense cold AND hot drinks!!!! I clicked on a tea and when it came out it was hot. I was so confused at first but after fellow trainees pointed out that it notes if the drink comes hot or cold. How amazing!!! Also vending machines here dispense everything from cigarettes to beer!

During training I learned many different things about the company and how things would be operating. But along with the technical stuff, I also learned alot about Japanese culture. In Japan, it is all about "wa" or harmony. Unlike the USA, people here don't value individualism. It is seen more as egoistic and prideful which ruins the "wa" of things. So here, it is more about apologizing and being part of this massive wave of peace and harmony. Completely different from a Western mindset but something I am definitely excited to make adjustments to.



After training, which ended about 5 pm, Loc, Becka and Jacob decided we should take a rest and rejoin together for an adventure around Osaka. That we did! This night turned out to be one of the most fun Mondays I've had in a long time! Who would of thought I would find such amazing people on the first day! Turns out we are all creatives! Loc is a film maker/actor, Becka a photographer and Jocab an illustrator. Its funny how creative energies just orbe towards one another. Well Becka had studied in Osaka years before and knew the subway station really well, along with Jacob who had gotten their days before. So I just followed, gazing at all the lights, people, sights, and freshness of Japan.






Becka and Jacob led us to a really famous stretch of Osaka, with shops, arcades, bright lights and iconic views. (Don't as me to repeat the name I'm still trying to remember everything!!) But not before we had a beer and some small bites at a restaurant next to the hotel. Then the adventure led us to a street side bar in which we enjoyed octopus balls (octopus in a dough like ball) and this ginger infused drink. (Not before walking past a bar full of bras on the ceiling and a blinged out Mercedes of course!) Everything was so smooth and conversation was so natural. It was like I knew these people my whole life! After chatting, laughing and sharing more drinks and snacks we figured we save most of our outings for the rest of the week, being that this was only the first day! So we headed back to the hotel not before conversing about getting together multiple times this year to do creative projects or take trips together. It was such an amazing energy I couldn't be more excited about being in Japan.





Some new things I was adjusting to was walking on the LEFT side of the side walk...and getting use to bowing and saying "sorry" or "excuse me" when walking around or leaving a place. The politeness and harmonious way of life here was just unreal but so awesome to be apart of.

So needless to say, the first day of training I've met some amazing people, already made so many amazing memories, and completely looking forward to the rest of the year and the new adventures I would be having with my new found friends.

O and just to throw in some pictures of my hotel room that I couldn't upload yesterday. Here they are! The place is small but its just enough for me. The place is comfortable with everything I need. And the toilets really do have different options for...cleaning yourself!!




So day one, down and conquered! Can't wait to see what the rest of the week in Osaka has in store for me! Hope everyone is well!

xxx

Comments

  1. First off, I LOVE those octopus balls, it's called takoyaki lol. Are you gonna be living in this hotel room?! And how am I suppose to keep in touch? WhatsApp? KaKao Talk? What are you using?

    Love and miss you! Looks like you're having a blast already but be safe lol

    XOXO
    Vy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes I just couldn't remember their name but they were SO yummy!!! I'm only living in this hotel room until Saturday because I'm here in Osaka for training but will eventually move into my apartment at the end of the week. Yes I still have Whatsapp that is connected to my Houston number, so you can reach me there when I have wifi which is when I'm at the hotel. We should start our email chains! Its so hard to Skype cause time difference is HUGE!

      love you too!!

      xx
      tien

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts