The Eagle Has Landed

So as you probably have figured out now, I just posted up a ton of blog posts all on the same date. Well I'm sure you all are smart enough to figure out that was just me catching up! Well this is me REALLY catching up! So last entry I posted I was sitting on the airplane on the long stretch from LA to Shanghai. So here we go continuing with that...

When arriving to Shanghai, a fellow American began to talk to me in the security check line. When traveling abroad I always find it comforting to have another native english speaker to converse with. It's also nice having company on a long security check. After going through the intense security at Shanghai airport. My new friend, Eric and I got a drink at the Starbucks and grabbed a seat while we each waited for our separate flights. Eric was on an 11 day vacation in which he was starting out in Tokyo. Did I mention we landed in Shanghai at like 5am? Yes, that was for real. My clock was all messed up by then so it didn't even really matter. The one thing I did notice about China was the fog...I mean pollution! Goodness the skies looked foggy but sure enough Eric confirmed it was pollution. Way to go China. We chatted for about and hour before parting ways.

As I got on my flight for Osaka, I was ready for this to be the last stretch on a plane for a while. I was all planned out!! Not realizing the time difference, the flight to Osaka was really only two hours, great! I mostly slept on the flight and tried to eat once. I made the mistake of saying "chinese" instead of "western" and got this weird tray of white mush with a air tight sealed brown egg. It looks questionable so I just ate the fruit and bread ball.

When I arrived in Osaka I had a whole procedure in my head of what was to happen. First, it was to check and make sure my checked in luggage made it to Japan with me! But before I could go anywhere, I had to go through customs. That is definitely not my favorite part of going into a new country, customs. The line is usually super long, and with nearly 40 extra pounds on my body, all I wanted to do was sit. So after standing 45 minutes in the customs line, I was finally at the front. Passport checked out as well as my documents and in a few minutes I was handed a Japanese residency card! So official!

Next I trekked my tired self to the baggage claim in which I happily found my two large checked in luggages. Now there was no way I could possibly be able to lug these things in addition to what I already had on my body all the way to the hotel, through the city and train stations. Luckily, a tip from a new friend suggested I have the suit cases delivered to my hotel. Genius! O did I mention that I have been studying Japanese with the Pimsleur program for a few weeks by now? Well I have and being now that I am actually in Japan I have been using what I learned! Sure it sounds like Japan-glish but its better than nothing! So with my small vocabulary and innocent smile, I got my way through the airport, got my bags en route to my hotel (for about $40 usd) and purchased a JR ticket for the fast train into Osaka. Phew! Such a mission! And that wasn't it!

Riding the JR fast train was so, fast! When the opposite trains would come by it would be a big woosh that always caught me off guard. With this 40 minute train ride into my next stop, I was able to look around and check out what Japan in Osaka looked like. Since I was on the out skirts, it was very calm, and mostly consisted of apartments and large farm fields.

My stop was soon coming up and I  knew that getting on the subway I was sure to run into much more people. And I was right. I left the JR station off Tennoji and transferred to the Tonimachi line. This was a little tricky to find but luckily all the help I've asked in Japan today, everyone has been very friendly and help when they can. So with the help of a gentleman in a conductor's suit, I found myself to the Tonimachi line. But not before buying a ticket. Now that was probably the most complicated ordeal all day. It's like buying a ticket before going on the subway. I stood there looking at the ticket machines, puzzled because everything was in Japanese!! I had a mini panic attack before I went up to a young man standing in front of the machines, looking like he was trying to decide where to go. I asked him if he knew English and he hesitated saying no but I could tell he was just shy so I went ahead and asked him for help. He helped me navigate the machine as I put money into it and even pointed me in the right direction. I've noticed though when the Japanese feel they didn't help you 100% they apologize and do that thing where they touch their head in a shy manner. Nice kid though. The subway station was much more of a city feel. I wish I could walk around to stores but the weight on my shoulders was becoming unbearable, I just wanted to get to the hotel!

Soon I found the right train (again with help) and got off at the right stop. Soaking up every thing along the way, I was becoming more and more excited about being here. Not to far from my subway stop was the hotel I would be staying at for training, Apa Hotel. The place was nice and I was just so excited to have a bed! After checking in, I rushed up to my room, open the door, quickly glanced around at the small room and dropped all my bags. This place is small but its honestly perfect for me. I felt pretty gross after traveling and not cleaning up at all, so a shower was first on my to-do list. I was so tired and had work to do on the computer, I told myself I'd save exploring for another night.

I heard that you can get pretty good foods at 7/11 in Japan so that I did! There is one right across from the hotel and that was my first stop after getting cleaned up. While walking around the 7/11, I saw another foreigner that caught my eye. Hey I know you! It turns out this kid was in my interview group in Dallas months before. His name is Daniel and we got to chat about our whole process to get there. Also was great cause he is my next door neighbor in the hotel! This really helps because now I don't feel so alone and I have a buddy to go to training with in the morning!

The rest of my night was spent finishing up my online training and starting up this blog. First day of training starts tomorrow bright and early so I better wrap this up. Alot to read I know, but if you know me or have followed me before, you know this is pretty normal :) Well thanks for keeping in touch! Will write soon!

Good-night!

Comments

Popular Posts