Isuien Garden



September 28, 2014

With Autumn slowly creeping in, we've had really good weather lately in Japan. On this particular Sunday, I was fortunate enough to have plans with my friends Kiyoko and Mayumi. Since meeting and getting to know eachother last month, the three of us agreed that it would be really great to try to meet up at least once a month. Kiyoko and Mayumi come from an older generation than I, and even though the friendship is an unusual one, I find their company genuinely refreshing and a great opportunity to learn about the Japanese culture as well as a different generation of thinking and living. So this day, Kiyoko had planned for us to visit Isuien Garden in Nara City. Being that she is part of the Nara Guide Club, she is very knowledgable in the historical sites of Nara City. I was excited to be with someone who actually knew what they were talking about. I have often been to Nara City before but I just went as an outsider looking in, not understanding the signs or all the hidden meanings and the temples, shrines, or gardens. But with Kiyoko, Mayumi and I got a chance to really become educated about the things in Nara Park.

The afternoon started with meeting at Nara Station around 11 am. From there, we killed an hour before lunch time at Kofukuji Temple. There, Kiyoko helped us to understand the procedure of prayer at a shrine, the different meanings behind certain gongs and bells, as well as reveal information we didn't know about the shrines like hidden Buddhas. There was also one particular shrine that stood out to me. I can't recall the name now, but it was a smaller one and when looking into it, you immediately notice that it has a burned smell and the buddha was covered in ash. When I asked Kiyoko about it, she told me that this particular shrine offers small wooden cards you can purchase and write your prayer on and twice a month, a priest sits inside the shrine and burns them. Once the wooden cards are burned, it is believed that your prayer will come true. But this shrine had only one opening in the front. It was unbelievable that the whole place didn't burn down during these burning ceremonies but it was clear to see that the smoke and ash would rise and completely fill most of the shrine. How could someone sit inside the shrine as this is happening? Maybe it is just something I have to see to understand.

After learning new things about Kofukuji, we headed to a Chinese-Japanese restaurant to enjoy lunch. A few days before, Kiyoko and Mayumi actually came to one of my schools to watch a couple of my classes. They had expressed to me their sincere joy of being in my class and how impressed they were with the performance. Being that they have been in the Japanese education system for a very long time, their comments and praise really touched me and made me feel like I am actually doing a good job. As you know, this is my first year teaching so I always have many doubts or uncertainties about many things, but having them give such genuine praise was very encouraging and helpful. Being that they are also teachers, we talked about many school related things during lunch while enjoying the view of the beautiful day.



When lunch was finished and our bellies were full, we headed over to Isuien Garden. The garden, Kiyoko told us, is actually owned by a private estate so it is well kept but also has an entrance fee. After entering the garden, there is a sense of calmness and serenity that was very nice. Kiyoko told us that this Japanese garden is the type that blends with its natural surrounding environment. The garden also consists of two sections, the back and the front. The back section was much bigger and is truly the more scenic space. In the background you can see Mt. Wakakusayama, Mt. Kasugaokuyama, and Mt. Mikasayama as well as the tile roof of Nandaimon Gate. These large natural elements really added to the beauty of this garden. Everything about this place was neat and specific. From the type of plants to the shape of the ponds, it seemed that everything had purpose. We enjoyed walking around the garden grounds, taking in the fresh air, sounds of nature, and even talking with a gardener. He had told us that at least 70% of the visitors of this garden are foreigners. That's alot! I could see why many people like to come to these gardens though. It is a peaceful place and is perfect to taking photos, having tea, or just meditating with the beautiful views.



After Isuien Garden, it was still a bit early in the afternoon so we decided to take a rest at a nearby cafe. With dessert and coffee, the three of us chatted about many unexpected things. Since there is a big age gap, I sometimes am not sure what is appropriate to talk about with Kiyoko and Mayumi. But the more we spend time together and as conversations naturally flow, it was really easy and comfortable to talk to them about things I would never expect. I feel like when they talk to me that they genuinely want to know about things and take my answers without any judgement on me or my character.



As the old saying goes, "time flies when you're having fun" and truly with Kiyoko and Mayumi, the time spent together is genuine and very enjoyable so it seemed like the whole afternoon just flew by. I am very grateful to have been able to become friends with such bright characters. I really admire their open-minds as well as their eagerness to speak English and learn about new things. The whole day, Mayumi had a note pad that she would scribble down things we would talk about. I thought it was so cute and great that even at an older age, her want to learn more was alive and strong. Also Kiyoko told me that when she was learning English, she use to go to places with mostly foreigners just to talk to them. Little things like that about these two women really surprise me and make me happy to know and learn from them. So at the end of the day, this Sunday was very relaxing, filled with new things and unexpected (but hilarious) conversations. Thanks ladies!!


xx
t

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts