Dance, Dance, Dance.


September 17, 2014 - Bon Odori - Nara, Japan

On every 17th night in September, there is a dancing festival held near Todaiji Temple in Nara. This year, my friend Yuko invited me to join her after we got off of work. Being that I want to attend as many things as possible, I said yes! So after work, I went back to Nara with Yuko to have dinner and hang out at her apartment and then get dressed for Bon Odori.



Yuko was kind enough to lend me a yukata to wear but this time I brought my own sandals because last time, those geta slippers really hurt!!! So around 7 pm we headed to Nara Park to join the festivities.

When we arrived to the dancing grounds, I saw that there were a few food stalls but mainly the event was for dancing. Everyone was gathered in this big courtyard with a stage to one side. On the stage there were musicians and singers providing the entertainment as guests danced around. The dancing took place within a line, well sort of. The line was really a circle and as you danced, you moved around the circle. I can't remember why this event happens but Yuko told me it is every year and she always attends.



Yuko was really excited about dancing so she immediately jumped in the group. She tried to pull me in but knowing that I am a horrible choreographed dancer, I was very hesitant. I stood there watching and taking in the views for a moment, trying to get the foot work down. It was all really complicated in my mind and having to move my feet and hands at the same time were just too much. I jumped in anyways and attempted what probably looked horrible!

The event was still fun and I actually stood in the dance circle, improvising as best as I could for at least one whole song! I just had the mind set of, if I looked the part confidently enough, it would work out...and it did!




We enjoyed dancing for a few songs and then walked around the area. There were lanterns that were light with what it seems like wishes or prayers written or painted on them. It was cool to see because it was the first time I had seen pictures on lanterns not just words. The evening, even though it was a work night, was alot of fun and like always, I was very thankful and happy I got to experience something so traditional.




xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts