Godzilla Crew Takes Over Japan


September 19-23, 2014

So this past weekend has been super busy but also very fun. A couple of friends from Houston, Michelle and her boyfriend Ryota, were to be in Osaka for the weekend as one of their two-weeks-in-Japan-destinations. Along with them were a few others guys also from Houston that I got the pleasure to meet as well. I was really excited to see them in Japan because even though Michelle and I aren't super close friends, it was still a piece of home that made me feel comforted and at ease. Their whole trip consisted of two weeks in Japan, starting near Tokyo and working their way through Kansai. By the time I met up with them, it was nearing their midway mark.




So what did we do in Osaka? Party of course! On Friday evening, I headed straight to Osaka to meet them up and have dinner. After getting lost around Shinsaibashi, I eventually found their hotel and met their new friends, Cris, JR, and Tony. The six of us headed near the Dotonbori area to catch drinks and food at an izakaya. I won't get into to too much detail but the evening started with food, beers, and great conversations at dinner, followed by club hopping around the Namba area. I was really excited because they invited me to stay at their hotel so I didn't have to worry about catching the last train home. I've always wanted to go out in Osaka but with my apartment nearly an hour away and the last train around midnight, I always had to skip out before any real fun happened. This particular Friday though, I got to join them for the whole night! We checked out popular clubs such as Pure and Grand Cafe. The evening was really fun and it just was great to party and DANCE again! In Houston, I often went out on the weekends and was really missing that and a solid group of social friends here so this Friday night was just the fix I needed.

Waking up Saturday morning in Osaka, the group decided to split up to do different things that day. Tony had left early morning back to Houston for work so then there was five. JR and Cris really wanted to check out something at USJ so they headed that way while Michelle, Ryota and I went to Nara Park to check out the deer. I had already been to Nara Park a few times, but figured I would check it out again because I enjoy it and it isn't every weekend friends from home are found in Japan. The park was really relaxing because the weather was perfect for being outside and the atmosphere a nice change from the crazy night we had before. It was also really funny because Michelle attempted to feed the deer but ended up running with fear from how aggressive the deer are. Around Nara Park we saw Todaiji Temple as well as walk through Kofukuji Temple.


After the park, I had gone back to my apartment to clean up a bit and get ready to go back into Osaka for night number two. Again, they had invited me to stay the night so it was a carefree night of just drinks and good company. That evening we did a couple hours of karaoke to begin the night. I am a terrible singer but being that karaoke in Japan you don't have to be in front of strangers, I was more up to do it. Besides, it's still fun! Around midnight or so, we went to the club we previously went to the night before, Pure. Many clubs seem to close early because of last train but Pure is known for its late hours and all you can drink nights (with a cost of entry fee of course). All you can drink already gives you a slight premonition of what bad things could happen. Luckily for us, the slight hiccups that did happen that night were fixed and now are just funny stories to tell.

Sunday morning I had to split from the group. I had class to teach the following day and needed to prepare my lessons. So I said my "see you laters" in hopes of joining back up with the Godzilla Crew later in the week.




On Tuesday was actually a holiday in Japan so I had no work and was free!! I took the opportunity to meet up the crew Monday night for a chill night in Kyoto. I had never drank by the river before but Kyoto has such a chill vibe that it seemed like the perfect thing to do. Along with us were many other people, locals and foreigners that had the same idea. It was really convenient that a Lawson's was near by to. So we bought beers at the convenience store and hung out near the river for a few hours until the chilly wind was too much to take. I forgot to mention, before we got to the river, we had dinner at Kichi Kichi! Ryota had researched it prior to the trip and being that it had reviews saying that it had the best omurice ever, he really wanted to try it. When we got to the restaurant it was very small with main seating only at the bar (which sat like 8 people). We had to wait a while for it to be our turn (there is only one chef and probably owner as well). But we all had placed our orders and patiently waited. Everyone ordered the omurice except JR who was more intrigued by the "Super Recommend" beef stew. We had no idea, but the omurice also came with a free show! Omurice is basically egg over rice and in a shape of a football (google or youtube for a video). When our dishes were brought out, the rice was prepared before and shaped on the plate already. The chef then freshly threw eggs into a pan, cooked it just enough so the inside was runny and neatly placed it on the rice dome. He would then gently cut a slit in the egg which  caused the egg to topple over the rice creating a very nice presentation. It was a very delicious plate and the presentation of the whole meal really added to the experience. Along with our omurice, JR's beef stew was also very loved. Ryota had asked the chef about the preparation of the beef stew and he said the meat takes 12 hours to cook and the broth taking 72!!! What a crazy amount of time to prepare food!!! I didn't try it, but everyone else said it was the best thing they had in their trip so far. Must of been delicious!!

Tuesday morning we attempted to check out the Imperial Palace but being that it was a national holiday, it was closed. Instead, we walked to Nijo Castle. I had been here previously, but again taking the chance to be amongst friends, I went along for the experience. By mid afternoon, the crew had to part ways and head to their next destination. So now it was really time to say "see you later" and by that I  meant December.

It was sad having to say a long good bye but I was super thankful and grateful I was able to apart of their Japan trip and so appreciative that they allowed me to join on so many fun times. It was also really great to of met awesome new friends and also become closer to Michelle and Ryota. So thank you guys for the food, drinks, laughs, bed space, convos and unforgettable memories :) See you guys soon!!! (Also thank you Michelle and Cris for these stolen photos!!!)



xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts