Me, Myself & Sakura

So today I set out on a little adventure to Yoshino in Nara. A Japanese friend told me about Yoshino and that it is one of the best places to view sakura. Even though, when checking the schedule the sakura peak season had passed, I still wanted to make it out in the month of April in hopes of catching some of the beautiful pink trees while they were still here. So I hopped on a train headed south and in about an hour I was at Yoshino Station.

The whole place is basically a mountain so the whole time you're hiking up, up and up. I didn't know any better at first so I paid 320 yen to ride the rope way up the first steep part. The rope way is like a trolley thing that takes you up in a lift. Honestly I could of walked it but I guess it saved some of my energy for the day. Once I got to the base of the small town in Yoshino, there were shops everywhere as well as people. It's Saturday and a really lovely day so it's natural to have alot of people show up. Since Yoshino is THE place for sakura, many shops carried sakura souvenirs, dish ware, candies, incense, and soft serve! I loved all the pink everywhere!! My kind of place!

Being that they didn't have maps in English, I just followed the crowd all day going where the people went hoping I didn't miss anything major. I managed to find some pretty amazing places so the all day hiking on an incline was definitely worth it!

Kane-no-Torii Gate

Kinpusenji Temple Zaodo

Sakuramotobo Temple


There was many places along the hike where you could lay out a blanket and have a nice picnic. Sad though, because you could see many of the sakuras had fallen and I definitely want to come back in peak season next year to really see this place light up with pink flowers. Today there were still some open but not fully and many were naked. Nonetheless, the mountain was still beautiful and the air so clean and crisp. Many times I would look around trying to soak in everything and just get a surreal feeling, like am I really looking at this? God is great truly. Today I had many moments where I looked at the sky and thanked God. Truly blessed to be able to see and live in a place like this.



Yoshino Mikumari Shrine


Along the hike, besides the beauty of nature, the other thing that really got my attention were the people!! I saw a range of different people hiking/walking today. From families with little kids, to fashionable young people to old grandmothers! I was so impressed with the seniors here in Japan. They are so strong and do so much physically it's really great! And the ladies! I don't understand why you would wear heels to hike a mountain but some ladies were doing it. I was tired in my hiking shoes, I couldn't imagine how much their feet must of hurt in heels or shoes with no support!


Kinpu Shrine



A couple times on the hike I wanted to call it done for inclines for the day. But when I would see older people continue to walk, I knew I had to go as far as I could. And that I did!! I couldn't read any signs but based on people watching and facial expressions, I kind of gauged people's response to how much of the hike was left. If there was still people walking in front of me, I would continue to go to. I was really happy I did because I got to see some really beautiful views. If you guys don't know, I'm not a very physically active person. But this year I told myself I would change that, and I am! Small hikes like this and biking or walking to work everyday really makes me feel like my legs are going to be super toned after a year!!


Sakura Soft Serve!!!! <3

On my way back down to the station, I stopped by this cafe for a bite. I only had a little bit of water and two Oreos the whole trip there so I figured getting real food in my system would be a good idea. I'm not good at reading Japanese so I went by the pictures in the window. I quickly recognized Katsudon Donburi and was sold. This cafe was really nice with traditional Japanese tables where you have to sit on the floor (mats). It was nice to take my shoes off and just sit for a moment. After finishing my yummy meal and soup, I drank in a couple cups of tea and was on my way. By night fall it got so much colder and I wasn't ready for that, only wearing a hoodie with a tank underneath. But before rushing off to the station I was determined to get a sakura flavored soft serve ice cream. I love ice cream! And even though I was super stuffed, I found my ice cream and enjoyed it fully!!

The day was super perfect with exercise, great views, crisp air and good eats. Couldn't ask for more on this Easter weekend!! Thank you guys for reading and watching! Wishing everyone a blessed Easter weekend!

xxx


Comments

Popular Posts