Deer, Temples, Shrines & Sakura.

So today, being the weather was nice and being that I live in a pretty historical prefecture, I decided to have an adventure day in Nara. When people think of Nara or hear it, they automatically think of the deer! I've never seen and only heard of these deer so I set out to have a Monday adventure looking for these creatures as well as many other historical sites I had researched.

I started my day before noon, catching the Kintetsu Kashihara Line up to Nara. The train ride wasn't so bad. It took only about 45 minutes or so. Once I got there, I noticed there were much more foreigners in this area. It was probably because of how famous the park is. So when getting out of the train station, I stopped by the tourist desk to get an English map to see where I could be venturing into for the day. I had a few places in mind but once there, I knew that there would be lots more for me to see.

Just stepping out of the train station and walking toward my first destination, Kofukuji Temple, I already noticed so many deer! I stopped to take some videos and pictures. It was like a petting zoo everywhere! There were also people selling deer food. It looked like a stack of crackers for 150 yen. I didn't have any deer food but this one deer came up and snatched my map I had just gotten!! So I said bye bye to that, not wanting to pick a fight with a deer when I just got there.




Walking around Nara Park was really nice because of all the green space, people and of course deer. I don't usually ever see deer so being they were scattered around like pigeons was pretty magical. It wasn't too difficult to find where you were going. This area is full of locals and tourists so there are many signs as to what is where.





On my adventure through Nara Park today, I got to see many beautiful shrines, big and small, fields scattered with sakura trees, free roaming deer and lots of green space. The first structures I came upon were Tokondo Hall and the Five Story Pagoda that are part of Kofukuji Temple. Luckily I have a little knowledge about Japanese shrines so when coming up to these, I knew what was going on. Since this was my first shrine for the day, I tossed in a 100 yen, bowed in respect and shook the bell, praying and thanking God for this beautiful day.






Next on my destinations list was Todai-ji Temple. I had seen online that there was a massive Buddha here so was really excited to see it. It cost me about 500 yen to get into the temple grounds but it was well worth it! Todai-ji is a Buddha temple complex that houses the world's largest bronze statue of Buddha Vairocana. As well as housing this massive statue, Todai-ji also has alot of history behind it in Japanese Buddhism and Japanese history. When approaching the main structure, it was just amazing to see it from afar. Its size was huge and I hadn't even been inside yet. Once I did make it through the Great Buddha Hall, I was amazed at the size of it! The height measures nearly 50 ft and just how much it takes up of the structure was amazing. The detail in statue was really beautiful. Along with the Daibutsu (largest, main statue), were also two other figures that sat beside it. Luckily there was a bench to sit in which I could just gaze at the structure. It was just beautiful and you can just tell it had too much history to just quickly walk by it. After snapping few pictures, videos, and finding some time to reflect, I continued my adventure around Nara Park.





Not having a map (dang deer), I tried to follow the paths or people as much as I could. It was hard to figure out where I had gone or not gone though. Well the things I did get to see were shrines and temples such as Nigatsudo, Fudodo, Tamukeyama Shrine, Wakamiya Shrine, Kinryu Shrine, Kii-jinja, and Kasugataisha. All of them were beautiful and pleasant in their own way. What I loved the most is the practice of religion, prayer, and keeping a humble heart in these places. It was so interesting to see people truly praying and bowing at each one. I wish I had a translator or understood the signs that were outside each place. The shrines were scattered among the green space and just the essence of nature and quiet were perfect when admiring each place.

New Deer Friends!

Nigatsudo



Fudodo

Tamukeyama Shrine

Being that I left the house before lunch, I had to figure out where to refuel! Knowing that where ever I was going to go was going to be pricey, since I was in Nara Park, I just opted for the first food place I saw. That place happened to be a Garden Cafe nestled in between a few shrine stops. I couldn't understand anything on the menu and just went with the pictures, even then I didn't know what I was eating! My meal consisted of rice porridge with a side of egg, some sort of fish, and some sort of pickled or fermented vegetables (that I didn't like). I basically put everything in my porridge and stirred it up and ate it all together. Lunch was a bit pricier than I'd like to spend but then again I was in the park and the garden was a serene place to take a break. By this point I had been walking for a few hours and a break was much needed!

Lunch at Garden Cafe

taken at Wakamiya Shrine

Kinryu Shrine

Kii-jinja

After the shrines and lunch, I really was keen to have a nice walk, a hike really. I looked at the map and saw that a look out was in walking distance and still within the park grounds. Once I headed that way, I saw it was Wakakusayama Foot Hill. The sign said hill but man the stairs along side of it were already tiring to my eyes, but I was determined and wanted to do it. I paid the 340 yen to get in and up the steps I went. Being that I am probably really out of shape, the stairs did made me take a breather here and there but as I looked around, I noticed the type of people going up this hill and they were old! Like grandparents old. I can't look like I'm tired when these seniors can make it look like a piece of cake!! So I sucked it up and trekked up the hill.










When I made it to (what I thought was the top), I was so relieved and amazed by the view! I could see practically all of Nara! It was crazy windy but there were already some people sitting at the top. It was cute to see couples, young and old, hike this together. After enjoying the view, I turned around to see I was not a the top but merely the first stop!! I didn't hike up those steps for nothing! Up I went all the way to the top! I wanted to stay longer but the wind and the lack of a proper jacket, I just stayed for a minute and then headed back down. I was really happy I did the hike though. I certainly got my leg and butt work out in for the day!






When ascending Wakakusayama, it was about 5 pm and the sun would soon be gone. I decided I did good for the day and headed back to the train station to catch a train back home. O I forgot to mention, through out the whole park there were beautiful sakura trees all over. It is hard to show how beautiful they are but when you are surrounded by them it's the most loveliest thing! They definitely added magic to Nara Park as well.



Before walking into the train station I had noticed a little shopping strip that was too bright to not walk through. Checking out the shops I came across a Mister Donuts. My best friend had eaten a Shipley's donut in my face (on Skype) just days before and I think that stuck in my head the want of a donut. So Mister Donuts it is!! There were many donuts to choose from but I went with the most sugary looking one, the "cronut." Many people have talked about these "crossaint-donut" mix in the last months so I figured why not try it here. The cronut was good but I also think it was because I was really hungry!

My adventure in Nara was really amazing. It was great to see more of Japan and all of its beauty. I will definitely be back here to catch the things I had missed. Hopefully with a map this time!!

xxx

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts