And just like that, I hit the one year mark..




March 17, 2015

So since last Friday, I had officially finished my first year of teaching!! Congrats to me! It is a little crazy to think that it has already been one year. As I reflect, it seems like the classes and long days just flew by. After successfully finishing one year here I definitely have to say, it was a great year. Never in my life would I of guessed I'd spend of year of my twenties (and then some) living and working in Japan. Through my work this year, I've met some great people, have had some really sweet and eager students, seen some amazing sites, and really have pushed myself in knowing how to be alone and how to adapt and cope with strange environments. I want to thank God for getting me through this year. Through Him, I have been able to get through the frustrating school days with screaming students, sweaty Japan summer, quiet days and nights that felt more lonely than comforting, and all the little daily battles life had given me.

Today, I got the pleasure of attending one of my junior high school's graduation ceremony. Unlike the United States, in Japan the students have a ceremony when leaving junior high school. When I think of the difference as to why, I would assume it is because here it is only mandatory that the students finish junior high school. For high school, students can choose if they want to go or go straight into working. So with that fact, finishing junior high school is a big deal. The ceremony felt familiar in the way that everyone sits in even rows, students in the front, parents in the back and the orchestra suppling the music. The differences I really noticed was the order of the ceremony. When I say order I don't mean the order in which the ceremony played out but order as in discipline. The standing, bowing and respect was so neat, not one hair out of place.

But the greater difference was really in the students. I'm not sure if I am just blessed to be at a school with nearly perfect students, but there were no bad students, yelling or hollering, or no pranks of any sorts. The thing I really enjoyed and learned about public schools in Japan is the unity between students. During the ceremony, there was one student who was called up to give a speech. Even though I could not understand any of it, you can hear the emotions in his tear stricken voice as well as all the sniffles in the gymnasium from students, parents and teachers. Even many boy students were crying! I was so shocked and touched. I wish I could understand what the speech said. But these students have been in school which each other for the past three years. They have had classes all day together, school trips, sports day and many activities through the school which solidifies their loyalty to one another. Seeing the tears and closeness of the school to students and teachers was really heart warming.



After the ceremony and handing out of the diplomas and speeches, the third graders went back to their home room classes for their "last class" so to say. During this time, parents gathered there too and the home room teacher would give a speech to the students. I got to chance to walk around the third grade hall, snapping pictures when I could. One of the English teachers I teach with, Mrs. Nomura saw me as I stopped at her class and asked me to join the photo. It was really sweet when all the students start to recognize me and yell my name to join. As I continued walking the hall, I saw other students I recognized and took a bunch of photos. Even students that don't talk to me that often came up to me and asked me to take photos with them. (Sorry I can't post photos with students, but trust me they're cute!!) It was really sweet and made me feel like I actually did something good at this school.

I am incredibly blessed in my life. To have the choices I do and to have the life that I have. Thanks be to God. Truly, with finishing this year and having much time to think and reflect, I know that even with my minor struggles and hiccups, my life is pretty freaking awesome. Work has a lot to do with it. I am so blessed and glad to be assigned to the schools where I am at and to the students as well. Today was really heart warming and even though I could not communicate with the students as much as I would have wanted to, just having them call my name and take pictures with me was really special.

So as many of you may know by now, I am deciding to stay another year in Japan. I really could not imagine having to say good bye to this country, my new friends, my students and schools forever. I am so blessed to be able to have this option. With this upcoming year, I hope to learn more about myself and the world around me. I have hopes to continue to push myself and not get too comfortable. I also really want to say thank you for all you guys at home who have supported me, kept in touch, sent me messages or snap chats, and kept me in the loop even though I am very far out of it. You guys are the best and I love you.

So thanks Japan for giving me a rockin' first year! Looking forward to the next!!

xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts