Gion Matsuri - Kyoto



Yesterday, a Wednesday, I was assigned to teach at a kindergarten school. With only a few working days at school left, I was eager to finish up and take a break from the schools. Luckily for me, kindergarten schools only have half days since the kids are so little. I always doubt myself before teaching a class especially kindergarten for some reason but thankfully for me, I had help on this day! The layout of the lesson was basically created for me I just had to supply the energy! Classes with the kindergarten kids went well and I was dismissed by noon! What!! That never happens! With such an open day I felt like it would be a shame if I didn't take advantage. Knowing that Gion Matsuri was going on in Kyoto on that day, I made it a plan to head up that way to see it. I wasn't sure who was free midday on a Wednesday but luckily for me, my friends Norie and Jacob were and wanting to join.




We got to Kyoto by 4pm and went to see what the fuss was about. To give you some background on Gion Matsuri, it is the festival of Yasaka Shrine and is the most famous festival in Japan. It takes place over the entire month of July but the biggest day is July 17th. We were a day early for the big events but we were still happy to see the small things that were happening and the crowd. Many people lined the streets from locals to tourists. Also there were many girls dressed in yukatas (summer kimono) which were so cute and pretty! Makes me want to find one and learn how to put it on properly!!




Much of the processions took place within the Yasaka Shrine. There were food vendors set up as well as performances scheduled through out the night. The three of us had a few snacks, took a few pictures, and watched a few performances. After a couple hours, the crowds grew and the streets were closed off to accommodate the masses.



We didn't get to see anything huge but it was still good to go and be a part of the small stuff. Summer in Japan is known for festivals so I'm glad I got to see a bit of one of the most popular ones! Afterwards, the three of us went to dinner and finished the night off with some beers! Cheers to an unexpected but fun Wednesday!

xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts