Sensation Tokyo




October 10-12

This weekend couldn't come any sooner! If any of you have known me for at least four years, you would know that I use to be really into edm music. Now, my music taste has changed a lot but I still enjoy a good edm event where there is loud music, lazers, dancing and being anyone you want to be! Sensation is an all white edm dance party that started originally in Ibiza. Since its start, it has been an annual thing there and has spread its reach into other countries as well. This year was going to be the very first year it would come to Japan! As soon as I heard news that it was coming, I immediately jumped on buying the tickets even though I had no idea who I would be going with or which djs were going to be playing. As the months passed and I started spending more time with Junya, I knew I wanted to ask him to see if he would like to come. He typically doesn't listen to edm music but is a dancer and knows how to enjoy any music so I figured it would be ok.

So we both left for Tokyo Friday night on a night bus heading to Akihabara. I felt like I slept a little bit on the bus but as you know, sleeping on a moving vehicle up right isn't always the most comfortable thing. But thankfully we got there safely. It was nice being in Tokyo and just out of Osaka for a bit. The event was going to be held in Chiba so it was about thirty minutes out of Tokyo city. Since we knew the night would be long and we didn't get much rest on the bus, we went to our AirBnB to check in and rest for the morning. After waking up in the afternoon, the two of us went to get some lunch as well as find some last minute things for the event in the evening.


Sensation's doors opened at 9pm. There wasn't any good djs I wanted to see in the beginning so we didn't arrive until about 11:30pm. When ever I go to these events, I usually like to wear an outfit I normally wouldn't wear in public. So being that it was an all white party with a "Wicked Wonderland" theme, I figured dressing up as a white animal would be fun, a cat specifically. At the only other all white event I went to in Montreal, Bal en Blanc, I was also a white cat. Cats are just fun and easy I suppose! My costume consisted on a white tutu, white crop top that I made from a regular tank top, and white kitty ears that I made right before leaving to the event. Junya was dressed head to toe in white also. I had never seen him in so much white! I thought we looked really good together! Sure, many people were probably looking at us a little crazy going to the train station and such but as we got closer to the event's station, the more people we saw in white. It was interesting looking around. Most everyone was in regular clothing, girls and guys. But when arriving to the event and going inside, there were a sprinkle of people that had the same idea in wearing a costume of some sort.

Once we got inside, we walked around the place scoping it out. It was held in a big convention center. The set up was the stage in the center with a rotating platform for the dj and decor that hung from the ceiling. I had looked up Sensation's decor set up online and for sure it was clear that the traveling set up was not nearly as good as the home based set up. There were a total of six djs playing. I had known two of them and looked up the others. So after waiting in line for about 30 minutes for drinks, we threw back two shots (really weak and they only had one option for shots) and a drink and headed to the sea of white. A note on the alcohol and food line, I was really shocked at the lack of variety they had also the extreme weakness of the drinks! I guess that's how you do business, provide weak and expensive drinks so people must keep coming back for more to even feel anything!



Anyways, the event turned out to be really fun. It was nice to dance with out a care and also to introduce something new to Junya. At the end of the night, Laidback Luke turned out to be my favorite of the night. I wasn't blown away but I was entertained for the most part. It was interesting to go to a large event such as this in another country. Watching people dance and interact with the music and eachother in such an environment is always fun. We ended up leaving the show at around 4:30am. Since first train was starting up soon, we wanted to be sure we would actually have space to get on.

The station was packed with people in white sitting all over the station. I would assume they were tired or just too drunk to stand. Luckily for me, the drinks we got just gave me enough energy but not enough to push me over into drunkeness. When the train came, everyone was rushing to get on. It was mad!!! Thankfully where we were staying wasn't too far from the venue and we weren't on the train for long. The event was a really good time but we were both ready to get some sleep so we did just that! We had to check out at 11am so we didn't have much time but we slept as much as we could.



Waking up only a few hours later, we rushed to get our things together and head out. We had the whole day still until our night bus in the evening. So we spent the day checking out Asakusa and the Tsujiki Fish Market, two places I hadn't seen in Tokyo yet. Asakusa seemed like it would be nice but there were just so many people there it was hard to enjoy. We got to the fish market late and mostly everything was closed but it was still good to be there. The shops look to be really old. We wanted to have a snack of some sort there so went to a restaurant to get a platter of sashimi. It was a fancy place but the fish was really fresh tasting! Probably the freshest sashimi I've ever had!

After the fish market, we went to Shibuya to meet one of Junya's friends. The rest of the evening we hung out with them, having dinner and hanging out at his apartment. Unfortunately, we lost track of time and ended up missing out night bus!! I had to be back the next day to see my cousin who was visiting with his family from Houston, so Junya said we would just go back via bullet train in the morning. It threw off my planned schedule but there wasn't a huge point to get angry about it when it already had happened.

The weekend in Tokyo was everything I hoped it would be. We both had fun, didn't want to kill eachother, and both got to experience new things. Definitely looking forward to the next trip!!




xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts