Saturday Feels




October 25, 2014

With the changing leaves and the drop in temperature, Autumn was definitely in full swing. On this Saturday afternoon, I had plans to catch up with Kiyoko and Mayumi. It is always such a pleasure to spend time with these two ladies. We met at Kashihara Jinguu which was only a 20 minute bike ride from my place. I often to come here to study Japanese or just enjoy the scenery but I was still excited to come here with Kiyoko and Mayumi because I always learn something new when they take me to a place I have already been.

The day was super beautiful and perfect for being outside. When I met up with the two ladies they were full of excitement and energy that was very infectious. The three of us enjoyed the afternoon at the shrine. Kiyoko taught me how to properly make a wish at a shrine in contrast to a temple. There is a process that are you suppose to do before and after praying which can be a bit complicated it you are doing the wrong process at the wrong place. On this particular day, there were also banners that had an event for 3, 5, and 7 year old children. Apparently in Japan, these are the ages that are special for a growing child. So parents will take their child to the shrine to pray for them or have a priest pray for them. While we were there, we saw a few children dressed in fancy kimonos. They were so cute!



At the shrine on this day, there were also special bonsai type plants. They were really chrysanthemums that were sculpted in growth to resemble a bonsai. I didn't even know chrysanthemums ranged in different sizes! But there were small ones and then these massive ones. They were so beautiful!


After spending some time at the shrine, the three of us continued our chats over food near my train station. The few hours I got to spend with them seemed to fly by but I suppose that's what happens when you're enjoying your time! Like always, the energy and conversations shared are always positive. Kiyoko and Mayumi teach a short English class on a couple weekends during the month in which I had plans to come watch. It was cute to see these two veteran teachers get shy about ME coming to watch!! I'm hoping to learn something from them!! But it was cute and flattering they thought so highly of my teaching. Makes me feel like I finally picked the right profession!

With plans in the evening, I departed from the two ladies about 5:30 to get dressed for the nightly events in Osaka. Halloween is a pretty new holiday here but my friends had told me the weekend before Halloween, alot of people come to Triangle Park to drink and people watch. Not having alot of time to get dressed into anything too elaborate, I grabbed items I already had and dressed as a bank robber for the evening.




That evening, I met up with Jacob, Roki, Becka and Bianca around 8pm to watch all the debauchery. It was such a great night for people watching! There were tons of costumes! Some of them I could recognize and some not so much. Along with the costumes there were also many foreigners who watched or also partook. One of the most interesting things I enjoyed seeing was the Red and Blue Power Ranger drive by in a red Ferarri, masks and all! Even though I would have to say it was a bit dangerous, it sure did look fancy.




I had a really nice time having a super relaxed afternoon and a bit crazier adventure in the evening. Sadly, I had to catch the last train and could only stay for so long. BUT Halloween is this Friday and that should be a night full of stories as well so stay tuned!!





xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts