Otori Danjiri Matsuri


October 4, 2014 - Otori Danjiri Matsuri

So by now, if you're an avid follower of my blog, you should know that I've been to a handful of traditional festivals and accept nearly all invitations to do such activities. This weekend was no different. A few weeks back when I went to Kishiwada's danjiri matsuri with Ash and Taka, they invited me to come back to their side of town for another matsuri of Taka's hometown, Otori. Like the festival in Kishiwada, there would be danjiris being pulled through out the street but instead of during the day time, Otori's was at night. Being that I enjoyed seeing the danjiris in Kishiwada and the company of friends, I gladly accepted. So this Saturday I headed down to Otori around 5:30pm to meet up Taka, Ash and Nori, just in time for the beginning of the celebration.



I'm not sure if Kishiwada's matsuri had such a break out opening, but Otori's did. Luckily we were standing in a good spot to view it. The danjiris began the festival by coming down what seemed to be a tunnel or covered street, busting through a paper banner. Taka told me that this matsuri, unlike Kishiwada's, only took place on one street and only had about ten danjiris. So after seeing the ten danjiris make it through the opening, we followed the crowd toward Otori Shrine to see the danjiris make the u-turn back and also to get something to eat.





Once we entered the shrine grounds, there were many festival food stalls with tradition Japanese food, beer, desserts, and games for children. On the way to the shrine, we also met up with Taka's wife and two daughters, Haruka and Ayumi. The festival grounds were so crowded! Fortunately we were able to get a table to seat all of us for a quick bite.  Thanks to Taka, we had bites of yaki-soba, yaki-tori and oden.



The matsuri that evening had an ending time around 10 pm. So after food, we walked around the street, got a beer refill at the conbini, and waited for some of Ash's and Nori's friends to meet us up. I had previously met Nori and his daughter, Shiori at Kishiwada's matsuri. Since this was their home town, Shiori was participating in the danjiri pulls. She eventually met up with us for a bit and looked awesome in her danjiri outfit and braided hair. It turned out though that she had pulled a muscle or had a really bad joint ache and was limping pretty bad. Even though injured, the matsuri seems to be a very important event because she still went out there for the final danjiri run. Along with seeing his daughter again, I also got the pleasure to meet his wife, Yoshie and a few other of their friends.





Seeing the danjiris being pulled at night was pretty awesome. The whole thing is lit with lanterns and the weather was cool and easy to be in. It was actually a bit chilly!

When the final run was over, it was a little after 10 pm. I was planning to take the train back home but Taka insisted I stay for food afterwards. So, why not! Before we headed to the food place, Nori, new friend Haruna and I went to Taka's parent's traditional Japanese house. He had told us that it is rarely lived in now but is still in their ownership. I got to get a quick tour which was interesting because I had never been inside a traditional Japanese house before. Taka told me that the way the house was built was very old and the wood and architectural style was not used or practiced anymore. It was like walking through an old artifact! With tatami mats and sliding doors, traditional Japanese houses are definitely different then anything in the west.



For late dinner, a bunch of us went to this restaurant that seemed to specialize in seafood. Tons of food was ordered and everything was shared. Even though many people weren't fluent in English, I could still communicate with them and share stories of my family and myself as well as understand some of their Japanese.  Dinner was really tasty and filling. Huge thanks to everyone for inviting me out and allowing me to join in their evening!

And another matsuri for the books! Even though I've been to a few traditional festivals, I've fully enjoyed each one and am thankful for the invitations and company!!



xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts