The Bittersweetness Begins


February 16, 2016

So  many of you may know that this is my last year at Interac, meaning this is my last year at my current schools. I currently teach at 12 schools all together, and to be honest, I was happy to be leaving some of them. But some I am actually really bummed to depart, my junior high schools being a couple of them. This week is my last week at one of the JHS I teach at. For my last lesson for the second graders, the Japanese English teachers asked me to do a speaking test for the students. In a speaking test, the students must memorise and understand a small conversation, in which I do one role and they do the other. Each student's speaking test is done individually in a separate room from the class room. I already had done this for a few classes on Monday but today I was particularly excited and sad to have this 2nd grade class. Why? Well in this class there are some of my favorite students. Remember, I had been at these schools for almost two years now so have gotten familiar with the students since last year. Well anyways, as I was giving the speaking test per students, I didn't expect what happened, to happen.

So as each student is done with their test, I tell them good job and gesture that they can leave and are finish. It started out with a girl student who, as she was leaving, said (in Japanese), "This is your last year right?" Just her mentioning it tugged at my heart a bit. After her, more students followed with properly bowing and saying "Thank you very much" (in Japanese) as they were finished. I really lost it when a particular boy student came in, finished his speaking test, then as I told him he could leave, he stood there and said in perfect English, "Thank you for two years. You are a wonderful teacher. Good luck." I nearly lost it. Tears filled my eyes and I  just became an emotional mess. It was so touching because this particular student is smart but never really talked to me or showed a huge interest in my class. So the fact that he actually had been paying attention and actually enjoyed my class AND wanted to voice it to me, really touched me. After that, the students just became more and more open with their thanks. Another girl proceeding to tell me that, "I will never forget you." I also received a few hand written notes from girls saying thanks. I was just over whelmed and so surprised. As the Japanese teacher came to tell me the students were all done and the speaking test was over, I just started crying telling her what the students did. She smiled and pointed to the class room saying, "The students are waiting for you there." Oh my gosh I just knew I was going to get emotional again. Sure enough, the students had written all over the black board their notes of thanks and gratitude. As I was reading the board, I was crying (yes it was pretty ugly) but it was real.

"Thank you Theresa! We will never forget you! You're a great teacher. We're almost crying. We don't want to say good bye to you!! We love you! We want to say good bye with smile, not tears. Good luck! We believe that we can see you again! We're very happy to learn as your students!"

I was so touched because, honestly, sometimes I think me being at these schools or putting effort into these students didn't mean anything to them. I figured, oh they will just forget me - they have to sit through my class cause it's required. But as the students put in the effort to speak to me in English and show their thanks, I felt I was wrong in that thought. Maybe I did make a difference in their education, maybe they will remember me, maybe they really did have fun with me the last two years - I really hope so.

Anyways, I felt compelled to write about this today. As you can tell I was/am really moved. These bunch of kids are truly some of my favorites in all the schools I teach and I will miss their faces, their jokes, their efforts so much next year.

This is only the first school in which it is my last days. I'm not even sure how I'll get through all the other schools. It really is sad having the thought, "This is the last time I will ever see you." But I hope that, for all these kids, life takes them to great places and that they become great people, cause they are. I know these kids will never get a chance to read this, but I really thank them for the experience I got these past two years that is truly special.




This chance in life really is a special one and I thank God that He has given it to me. Well I'll probably be posting a bit more on my last days at these schools in the future. I wish I could show you pictures of my wonderful students, but just know, they are kind of crazy but all very special.



xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts