Home for the Holidays



December 24, 2015 - January 3, 2016

So I know it's been ages since I've posted and I'm really sorry for that. I guess you just get caught up in stuff. But I'm back to give you an update on what has been going on with me and also to tell you about my wonderful break back in Houston.

As for current events, I recently accepted a new position at a different company for the next school year. If I have spoken to any of you in the past 5 months, you would of known I was struggling with the question of what do to next year in my life. Well after much debate, doubt, and uncertainty, I figured I would just apply to different teaching jobs in Osaka and see what would happen. What happened was an interview, second interview, then job offer with Kinder Kids as an international kindergarten teacher which I accepted. I know many people at home may be a bit bummed that I'm not returning as soon as hoped but I feel really good about this new position I have coming up next year. Being here in a new place, I hope to always challenge myself or grow as a person. The first year was obviously a challenge being I had to learn everything myself, the second year I moved closer to the city which sparked many new friendships and experiences, and then with my coming third I'll be in a new company learning a whole new way of teaching and group of students and teachers. I'm excited for the change and feel that it will definitely help to my personal growth. Don't worry I promise to keep you guys updated on the new job experience when that begins, which is the end of March.

So about me coming home for Christmas....I'm so blessed to have wonderful parents who buy me a plane ticket home during the holidays. I couldn't imagine what it would be like without them and I'm so thankful that I didn't have to.


I arrived early Christmas Eve morning at midnight. My awesome parents came to pick me up and seeing them after a long flight was perfect. My first few days in Houston was a bit miserable physically because of food poisoning but I was still happy to be surrounded by my family. Most of my time spent in Houston was hanging out at my parents house, chillen with my siblings, playing with my brother's new dog London, eating what I could, and seeing what friends I could.



As Christmas tradition, we had Christmas Eve family party for my dad's side of the family at my parents' house. It was good to see all my cousins and extended family. I was shocked at our Christmas tree! It was covered in so many gifts! The most I remember seeing in a while. After dinner, while the adults talked, me and my cousins played a card game called Cards Against Humanity. If you've ever played it, you know it's a bit...different in humour, definitely not a game for kids. It was funny though and an interesting way to kill time. After everyone was done eating and letting their food digest, we opened presents. I would usually be Santa and hand out the gifts but because I was feeling really bad I had my little sister Catherine do it instead. Everyone got some pretty awesome gifts. I got a bunch of red envelopes with cash, can't ever complain about that!



Once my extended family left, my siblings, parents and I started to open gifts within the family. This is also something we do every year. I guess without the attention of extended family, we have a more intimate gift giving experience. Something different this year was my brothers actually had money! It's more of a joke, but usually the boys don't give gifts or have no idea what to give. This year though, I was surprised and happy to see how generous everyone was. My siblings gave me awesome gifts of a new back pack, instax camera, shoes, make up stuff, and work out clothes. You guys rock :) Also my wonderful parents gave me nice funds to get a hair cut later that break. Even though this Christmas Eve I felt physically miserable, I was so happy to be with my family and to see/feel the love I get to have in my life. I love you guys.



On Christmas day, we all had a slow morning getting up. You would think that I would be jet lagged but maybe because I was sick, my  body seemed to be sleeping at the right time. Thank goodness for that! Later in the evening, we had the Christmas tradition of going to my mom's side of the family for a holiday Christmas party. This year it would be held at my aunt Kim's house. Her house was actually new and I hadn't seen it yet so I was excited to see it. Getting to the party was a little rough, the infection was feeling pretty terrible. After finally giving into antibiotics and passing out on the way up there, I tried to put on a happy face and enjoy the party. It was a little difficult at first, but seeing my family and having holiday food, I started to feel better. One of my favorite things about the holidays, aside from family, is food! Even though it's just simple comfort food, it's like the best thing in the world. Mashed potatoes, corn bread, green beans, just things like that makes me super happy. And even though my stomach was not liking me much, I ate everything I wanted anyways.



My little cousins asked me to bring candy from Japan. So after asking me a few times, I gave in and handed them a big bag I brought. Those kids went through it like a tornado. After the sugar rush and everyone was done eating, we all sat down in the living room and began opening presents. My two aunts, Kim and Jennifer, always act as Santa for Christmas. They are entertaining in their own ways. Everyone here also got rad gifts. I received gift cards, money, a scarf, and some awesome Nike Air Forces. I'm so grateful to have a family so large and so loving. One of my favorite cousins, Alex also was so sweet to write me a Christmas card. Honestly, reading that I felt like I was going to cry. Just being there with my family and feeling all the love God has given us was a wonderful thing. Times like these makes me feel sad for choosing to be away, but I am so grateful I have times like this to come back to and people like this to pray for me and support me.


Aside from the big family Christmas parties, I got the chance to see a couple of my friends during break too. I really appreciate the ones who kept in touch, reached out to see me and put aside the time and energy for me during these ten days. Last year, I planned a big get together so I was able to see all my friends, but this year I wasn't feeling that much. I 'm not sure if it's the fact that this is my second year and second visit, that my life away is just feeling more "normal." This year I was more so, if I or others want to spend time together, it will happen. Which it did. I'm so thankful for the updates on life, breakfast food and coffees, polaroid moments, uncensored girl talks, bottle poppin' nights of dancing, and each and everyone of my friends who makes Houston home.



Being home for ten days, my holiday also fell over New Year's Eve. I had a family party to go to that evening which was also a birthday party, but as for the evening I didn't have any major plans. My older brother actually guilted me into going out that evening to join him and some of our friends and family at a club in town. I was hesitant at first but I was glad I went in the end. It's always nice to be around my siblings and family and even though the weather was cold, crowd a bit annoying, and sober eyes, I still had good laughs and memorable moments with people I love.



So as for a closure on the old year and hopes for the new year, hmm, well 2015 was definitely fun. I  moved into Osaka, grew in my social life, met awesome people, had a relationship, continued to learn more about myself, the world and others, became closer in my existing friendships, and lived. I want to thank God for allowing me this life, for giving me these struggles, these good days and bad, these chances to really see life. As for 2016, as always, I hope to grow more as a person, a good, kind person, I want to travel more - hopefully make it out to Korea and Taipei, I want to travel and see more of Japan, I want to succeed in my new job, I want to see more of my Houston friends and family in Japan, and I want to grow as a human, friend, sister, daughter, and lover.

I hope that all of you who keep up with me, and even the ones who don't, have had an amazing 2015. I want to thank all of you for allowing me your time, in reading my writing, looking at my pictures, wishing and hoping good things for me, sending me positive vibes, allowing me into your life, praying for me, and just being part of my world. I wish you all the best in 2016. To have more adventures, take more risks, pray more, feel more, do more, be more. I love you guys very much and thank God for the life I am allowed to live and to know such great people as you all.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2016 everyone. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for the time. Stay tuned to see what things I can get into this year!!!



xx
t

p.s. I'm gonna leave yall with amazing shots of foods I got to eat while back home. Yummy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts