Bizen BBQ


June 20, 2013

So with summer right around the corner, hopes of beach trips and BBQs were definitely on my mind. This past weekend I was lucky enough to be invited by my friend Yuta to join on a day of BBQing, wake boarding and jet skis! How could I saw no! I was super excited for the weekend just with thoughts of being in a swim suit and out in the sun. The weather has been really wet here lately because of rainy season which made me a bit worried about the weekend's plans. Luckily, Yuta gave me a bit of confidence telling me that we were actually going to Okayama which is about two hours from Osaka and the weather was always different there.

So early Saturday morning, I met up with Yuta's friends, a group of ten all together. It is always interesting meeting up with new people. I had no idea who was going to be there and how the day was going to go but I think being in a new place, you always have to keep an open mind and everything else just works out. That is pretty much how the day went.



After the two hour drive and a stop at the grocery store, we had two cars full of people, food and camp gear. I had never done anything like this before so I had no idea what to expect. We first got to the port where the boat was parked. Yuta and some of his friends actually own a boat together. Their love of being outdoors and wake boarding had recently drove them to all join together and buy a boat. How great is that for me!! When we got to the boat, we packed all of our stuff onto it and headed out to a BBQ location. I just couldn't believe how great the weather was and was so hyped to enjoy the day with music, drink, food, water, and fun company!




Getting to a BBQ spot only took a few minutes. Being on the water and out in the sun made the short ride there really enjoyable. Once we got to a spot, I saw it was just like a mini beach with sand and a small shore. It had looked like many people actually come to this spot with old trash sprinkled around the shore. I really had an impulse to clean it!! Slowly, we unpacked the boat and set up the area for BBQ and chilling. I was thoroughly impressed with how convenient all the gear was. It was obvious these guys did this often and knew exactly what to do and what to bring or buy. At the store before getting to the boat, they bought lots of fresh seafood. From whole fish to clams, I was super stoked to get things cooked and eaten! I practically grew up on seafood being from a big Vietnamese family and rarely get to eat this type of variety here so needless to say it was really exciting for me!



We started off the day with making lunch. The guys cooked up curry and rice and a large assortment of seafood. Along with food, we also had plenty to drink! I rarely drink during the day but with an event like this it was a must! The food was delicious and I continued to be impressed with everyone thoroughness of the day. Along with the boat, there were also two jet skis to play with. I had never been on a jet ski before so was really excited to ride it.




Once food was done and everyone became a little more familiar, we all hoped on the boat or jet skis and headed out to wake board. I know what you're thinking, Theresa is the most unlikely person to wake board. Well, you are right. If you know me at all, you know physical or athletic activities are so NOT my cup of tea. I knew wake boarding would be in the day but I wasn't really sure if I would partake or not. So hanging back and enjoying being on a boat, I watched some of the guys take their turns out on the water. You could tell who did this often and who was brand new. It was fun to watch how skilled people can be with their bodies. I am always impressed when people push their bodies to limits I never have or ever tried to. The time out on the water was really fun and I truly felt happy. God is good!

After hanging out on the boat for a bit, I decided to go out on the jet ski with Yuta. The water was really clear with not many other people or boats out so you could drive any where and it would be ok. With driving around on the jet ski, I also got to see many oyster farms! They were like these large platforms floating on the water. Yuta told me that the area we were in is popular for fresh seafood, oysters being one of the items you can often get when in season.

We ended up spending most the day out on the water. Many people took turns wake boarding. Out of the four girls, one of the girls, Hanako, actually took a stab at it. I totally commend her on trying even though it wasn't a complete success. I keep thinking I'd get brave but sorry to dissappoint you guys, I didn't do it!! Around 5pm we drove back to the port to drop off some things and people to wash up. I proceeded to stick with the guys in wanting to help clean up camp. With them providing and planning everything, I wanted to at least do my part and help with clean up and carrying things. I was actually really glad I joined the clean up crew because they ended up cooking the rest of the food and having a quick chow down before heading back for the day.



Like any event I go to here, I am always shocked at how open people can be and how much you can communicate with others without using the same language. Even though I am not fluent in Japanese, the energies and vibes were enough to fully enjoy the day. More and more I don't feel so completely foreign here which was a really nice feeling.

I want to give a huge thanks to God for the beautiful afternoon, the safety, food, and great company. Also a big thanks to my friend Yuta for the invitation and for the whole group for making me feel so welcomed. This day was definitely a great way to slowly open up the season of summer and I hope for more days like this!!

As always, thanks for keeping in touch! Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and are doing well!!





xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts