Color me RAD!!


April 25, 2015

So as many of you might know (if you have known me for a while), I'm not the running type. So when my friend, Rika asked me about a month ago if I wanted to join and go to this event called Color Me Rad, which she said was a running event, I was rather hesitant. But after she showed me pictures of last year's event, I was more up to go. So turns out the event was a running event but with loads of color in the form of powder...thrown all over you. I have seen events like this back home but the thought of paying to run never really sit well with me. Anyways, I'm glad I agreed to go because today was a blast!




There was five girls in the group, Rika and Mariko, whom I've met before but then two new friends, Chika and Toshi. We met up early this morning in Namba Station to get ready and made sure we were Color Rad-ed up! I know in Japan I often see couples or groups dress in the same attire at events but I didn't realize how often it happens till today! When the girls suggested we wear the same look I was just fine to go with it. But when we got to the event, I saw many groups of girls all in similar clothing to one another. Good thing our group had a look!! Being that we aren't teenagers or the super girly type, we decided to do something fun yet sporty. The event had provided us shirts (with the cost of admission which was about $65 usd) so we cut those up and paired them up with shorts. We did a double bun hair style with a white head band and these sunglasses with anime eyes on them.



After we were done getting ready in the station bathroom, we headed to the bus and train to get to the event. There were tons of people already in line!! Since we felt we were on a time crunch, we practically ran through the whole line to make sure we got there at an appropriate time. When we arrived, the event was in a large field, away from any major part of the city. Many people, mainly groups of girls, were taking photos in the field and being super cute. It was a trip to see. It was funny it was a "running" event but many girls were in really cute clothes. I even saw some wearing heels and platforms! I was shocked! From the looks of it, no one really runs but walks the whole route.




Once we took some pre-color photos, we got to the front of the group to start. The event had multiple starts so you didn't really have to go at a specific time. I even saw some people going twice. The route was set up with about 4-5 color domes. So when you would enter the domes, people would spray colored powder all over you. I was sure to close my mouth while running through these domes! After each dome, we would stop and take photos. Actually this whole event was just a big photo op!!! Getting color splashed on you was pretty awesome. It was fun to see bright colors of pink, orange, yellow and green all over each other. It was also entertaining to watch other people. Girls were in tutus, and flower headbands while guys would wear silly costumes or animal heads.





After you go through the whole route, the event empties out onto a big field where you can hang out, take more photos or join the stage for the dj and dancing. You already know where we were headed! It was funny, this event is probably the closest thing I've been to a rave type set up. Sure it didn't last all night and it was only for a few hours but with the tutus, loud music, and people laying around in fields, it was pretty close.





The event finished up around 3pm. We then got changed and had a nice wipe down with wet wipes. Our hair was still filthy with color but there wasn't really any choice till you got to a shower. Afterwards, we were starved so got our selves to a sushi place to enjoy some cheap but yummy sushi!!




I was a bit hesitant about today but I'm really glad I went and everything turned out so great. The girls are awesome and I'm so thankful that I got a chance to make new friends and have a new experience.

Thanks Rika for the invite and thanks girls for the awesome afternoon!!



As for a personal update, I've currently been in my second year of teaching now for about a month. The students are still great and it's really awesome when they already know your name and get excited to see you. In one of my classes, a favorite student even came and gave me a huge hug when she first saw me. Golden Week is coming up and I look forward to the free time and plans coming up so stay tuned for that! As always, thank you guys for reading and keeping up!!


xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts