Nagoya Smiles


February 14-15, 2015

So first and foremost, being that this weekend was a "holiday," just wanted to say Happy Valentine's Day to all you love birds, friends, families and strangers! I hope you guys had days full of love, chocolate, sunshine, and good vibes! And even if you didn't celebrate it, wishing everyone a blessed weekend anyhow!



So how did I spend this holiday weekend? I was lucky enough to have plans but not because of Valentines but just because a friend and I had the same weekend available! This weekend I got to go to somewhere I've never been to before, Nagoya to see my friend Taiki.

I was really happy getting there was super easy. I took a super express train from my station and got to Nagoya in about 90 minutes. It was easy and convenient! Taiki is actually living there for work and says he doesn't really do much in the city because there isn't much to do in Nagoya (so he said). But I didn't mind if the city didn't have a super exciting reputation, I was just happy to be there to see new things and check another Japanese city off my list.

The weekend started off first with a trip to the aquarium. I always enjoy going to aquariums even though I always feel a bit sad for the animals in such small spaces. Nagoya's aquarium was a bit confusing in their set up. After going there I think that Osaka's Kaiyukan was better. Nonetheless, the visit was still enjoyable. The most interesting part was seeing the beluga whales so close up. I seriously thought it was going to give us a big splash! After the aquarium, we went up to an observatory deck to see the city from a higher view. It was funny because I came in through Nagoya station and from there, the city looks like a city city, with tall buildings and such. Taiki had to correct me saying that it's really just an illusion. Near the station it looks like that but once you drive a bit away from the station, all the tall buildings fall away to average sized apartment complexes. When we were at the observatory deck, I could see that was completely true. It was funny to see only six tall buildings near the station and everything else was all at the same level. It was maybe only ten floors tall max. It was still a bit early in the afternoon so we headed to the art museum to check out their permanent exhibition. The permanent exhibition was a bit small but it worked out fine since the museum was closing in less than an hour.

The afternoon was chill with good company and interesting sights. For dinner we went to a local restaurant where we were only one of two tables. I didn't mind the bareness because it was quieter and not such a hectic environment. The place we went to eat was also pretty cool. The interior was decorated like an old ski lodge with wood panels, old books and magazines and old signage up all over the walls. The service was sweet and the food delicious.

Sunday was spent pretty chill, as Sundays should be. We walked around Sakae area not really wanting to shop but just look. We had lunch at a pizza place which I was surprised I had a whole pizza! Ok it's not as large as you would think but I think my craving for pizza was so strong I could of had a large pizza to myself and would of finished it! After lunch, we walked off the pizza by checking out a Japanese artist's shop called Erostika. The artist goes by the name Rockin Jelly Bean. I was introduced to his work by my own tattoo artist and wanted to check out what they had up for sale. I ended up buying a rad sticker for my laptop. Even though lunch was filling, my sweet tooth wasn't yet fulfilled. Thankfully, Taiki is so easy going and humored me in my want for more food. We ended up going to this sumer yummy pancake place. I probably shouldn't of had the extra calories or sugar but man was it delicious! Two pancakes that had a hardened sugar crust with berries, whipped cream and ice cream. So delicious!



The weekend was full of firsts and new things as well as good times with Taiki. Thanks so much for hosting me and taking me around to all the places this weekend! Hope to see you soon!!


xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts