Santa San


December 23, 2014

So today was my first day of Winter Holiday!! And how did I spend my first morning of not having to wake up early? Actually waking up early! A few weeks ago, Norie had told me about a Christmas event her and Issei were going to partake in. It was this large human Christmas tree. It's not what you may think. What it is, is a bunch of volunteers in Santa costumes holding up red or green colored cards in a specific pattern to make an image of a Christmas tree! The event takes place in front of the Grand Front Osaka and I believe has something to do with charity sponsors. What ever the cause, I figured it would be a fun thing to do even if it meant waking up early to get into Osaka for. Like I've said before, here in Japan I try to say "YES" as much as possible. I've never dressed up as Santa or been part of a massive photo so this would be a first!

When I got into the city and met up with Norie and Issei, we went to put our things in a coin locker and dress in our Santa outfits. All the volunteers get the same outfit. It wasn't the best quality but what do you expect when it's free! Walking around Umeda as a Santa was pretty funny. I'm sure people understood being that it is the week of Christmas, but it was even more apparent what we were apart of when you got to the Grand Front Osaka. There were tons of Santas!!! From adults to kids, there were Santas everywhere!


Along with the free Santa suits, we also got large cards to write our wishes on. These cards also had a green or red back, depending on where you were standing. The whole process was pretty quick and easy. It was just a fun experience and it felt a bit more festive being that it's the week of Christmas. The three of us walked around in our suits for a bit, taking pictures and such but then decided to change back into civilian clothes. The rest of my holiday was spent walking around Umeda, finishing up Christmas shopping and hanging out with Norie and Issei.




So as many of you may know, my lovely parents have bought me a ticket home for Christmas. I am incredibly thankful that I get this chance to see this around this time of year. I honestly didn't know what I really would of done if I wasn't going home. I'm super excited to see everyone and get the Christmas and holiday feelings. It sure has been cold here and there are Christmas lights up in some places but it hasn't really felt like the holidays. I guess because the most important factor has been missing, my family! With one more day until my flight, I slowly take my things out to pack and realize my Christmas gifts fill up a whole suitcase!!! Looks like that Santa suit may come in handy when handing out all these gifts!!



I am incredibly thankful for the life God has allowed me to live here in Japan for the past year. Everything from the food on my table, to the friends in my new life, to the sweaty summer days or the freezing winter nights, I am really blessed to be given this life. During these holiday seasons I want to thank you all for keeping up with me, reading my long posts, or just coming to check out photos and videos. It means a great deal to me and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday with your family. I know my ten days at home maybe hectic but I'm totally looking forward to all the family crazy! I'll be sure to be posting pictures from that too!

So have a blessed Christmas and a safe new year everyone! See you in 2015!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts