Sunday Funday

So this weekend has been a pretty chill weekend. Stayed in my city, Kashihara all weekend just relaxing and spending quality time with, ME! But I do want to take a second and say something for all the mothers out there, HAPPY MOTHER's DAY!!! I think being a good parent is probably one of the hardest jobs ever so kudos to all the mothers out there that are raising kids right, making those sacrifices, and always sharing that unconditional love. Happy Mother's Day especially to my dearest mama. She has always been my rock in my life and continues to be. My mentor, accountant, cook, florist, strength, seamstress, comedian, counselor, and so much more...mama you mean the world to me and I couldn't do half the things I do without your love and support. I'm sorry I'm not there to give you a hug and take you out for food but please know I always miss you and love you so much. You are the most beautiful person I know and forever my inspiration! :) Love you mama!!




------------------------------------------------------

So this Sunday I had a new plan to look forward to. The weekend before, Jacob and I had met a couple in Kashihara. The man is a photographer and his wife helps out with her businesses and hobbies. Turns out that they both speak decent English and that he is actually also an English teacher for high school students prepping for entrance exams for college. He immediately got excited to hear that I am a native English speaker as well as an ALT. His wife was particularly excited as well just to meet someone to speak English with. So we exchange information and made plans to meet up this Sunday.



Ms. Tokumura picked me up at the station this morning and we spent a couple hours just hanging out chatting. She took me to Ishibutai-Kofun in Asuka City. I had yet to go there but remember her telling me about it the week prior. According to Wikipedia, this is a stone kofun tumulus of the Asuka period. It is believed to be the romb of Soga no Umako. It occupies a space of 177 ft and is the largest known megalithic structure in Japan. The name of the kofun is ishi, meaning "stone", and butai, meaning "stage."





The kofun was pretty cool to see but I was also excited about the surroundings of lush trees, green grass and in between mountains. After visiting the site, Ms. Tokumura and I got snacks of ice cream and sat and chatted. It is always interesting to me what Japanese people are interested in. I get the usual questions of, "Why did you come to Japan?" "Do you like it here?" "How long will you stay?" and so on but they are also very interested in America and life there. I asked her if she knew anything of Texas and she said when she was very young she saw a black and white movie with John Wayne but that was all. Also that when she hears the city, Houston, she immediately things of NASA and space rockets which is very, very common. Every time I've told someone I'm from Houston they recognize the city by relating it to NASA and then asks me, "Have you seen a spaceship launch?" It's pretty funny to me.

Afterwards, we had to go back to her house to pick up her husband for a gallery showing me was having that day. On the ride there, I find out they actually have four children ranging from the ages of 25 to 32. When arriving at their house, I see that Mr. Tokumura was having an English class with three students. So I figured they not only have a retail space but also do private lessons via their home. Mr. Tokumura was excited to see me again and asked me if I would be free to come to his English classes on Sunday. I agreed because I usually am free on Sundays but also I think it would be a very good experience. Not only had I just agreed to a new experience but he also told me that he would pay me 3000 yen per class!! A class is only 1.5 hours so I was pretty thrilled about that. It's not heaps but its more than nothing! Extra grocery money, yay! It's really great how God makes things fall into place because I met this couple by chance and it seems like things that are meant to be really do happen!

After I had been dropped off at my train station, I bid them farewell and was on my way to my usual church. The morning got off to a very lovely start and I am incredibly thankful I had known them.



The day was sunny and bright so I picked up some lunch at the near by grocery store and went to the courtyard to enjoy it. Half the time I'm not sure what I'm eating here but I know it's good. Today though I believe I picked up some pork with rice bento only for about 398 yen :)



Before enjoying lunch I stopped by my favorite store, DAISO! I have spoken about it before, but Daiso is a 100 yen shop (dollar store) but they have the greatest things! I visit a Daiso at least twice a week...it's very hard for me not to buy things here especially for the price and cuteness!! Today I picked up some new pencils for drawing and couldn't resist the pencil toppers and mint smelling erasers too.

The day is only half over but already to a perfect start. Thank GOD and have a blessed Sunday!!

xx
t

Comments

Popular Posts